THE REGIONAL BIOSECURITY
Hosted by Secretariat of the Pacific Plant Protection Organisation (PPPO)
Responsibilities: Export of plants and plant products
The exporter is responsible for:
- applying for and obtaining an import permit from the importing biosecurity office prior to ordering plants or plant material from a local supplier;
- providing the import permit and import requirements to the local supplier, requesting that the consignment comply with the relevant import requirements;
- complying with reasonable instructions from the biosecurity service for inspection isolation, containment and storage of exported goods; and
- meeting all costs involved under c) and any costs involved in the treatment of goods.
The biosecurity service (biosecurity office, import) in the importing country is responsible for:
- a) providing reliable assurance that the relevant requirements on the import permit are correct at the time of issue.
The chief biosecurity officer is responsible for:
- a) maintaining records of overseas import requirements for plants and plant products. A list of plants and plant products for which requirements have been developed is in the country’s export requirements;
- b) communicating with overseas biosecurity offices to resolve specific problems related to the provision of import requirements or certification; and
- c) advising biosecurity officers on technical issues.
Biosecurity officers are responsible for:
- a) if located in the permit office:
- advising importers on export requirements;
- b) if located in the port office or at the point of exit:
- obtaining a copy of the import permit from the exporter and, where required, inspecting the goods, certification and other documents;
- arranging treatment and supervision of treatment of consignments;
- recording information on imports and correctly filing paperwork; and
- issuing an international phytosanitary certificate on completion of the phytosanitary requirements specified in the import permit.
Treatment personnel are responsible for
- Ensuring that the consignment is treated in accordance with the import requirements specified and that it is secure from re-infestation after treatment and before export.
Copyright © 2020. Pacific Community.